Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: The new clothes press

  1. #11
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is a great memory of your grandpa. Do you have a picture of it to share online?

  2. #12
    Dancingfewl423
    Guest Dancingfewl423's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by AGMommy:
    The only issue I have with the new clothes press is that it's not historically accurate. The original one was.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can you prove that? [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

    I personally like the chest. It looks like it would store most of Felicity's clothing - the only thing I would be concerned about is how all her accessories would sit up vertically in the box so the door could close.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member zap_sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The new clothes press is very historically accurate. My grandparents have one just like it made by the company that makes reproduction pieces for Colonial Williamsburg.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the information Zap sea! I was wondering about the historical accuracy of the new clothes press.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 09, 2005 08:41 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

  5. #15
    Inactive Member danaspillar's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    255
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    But is the new clothes press historically correct for its INSIDE? I thought that in Colonial days they didn't hang their clothes.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by zap_sea:
    The new clothes press is very historically accurate. My grandparents have one just like it made by the company that makes reproduction pieces for Colonial Williamsburg.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought the false drawer look of the front made it inaccurate. Did real pieces have such false fronts?

  7. #17
    Inactive Member zap_sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They did put false fronts in when they didn't have enough room or for decoration. There is a French term for it, something like fooling the eye (but in French so it sounds cool.) The whole hanging of the clothes on the inside is just something that AG came up with. That way it can store dolls like all the other trunks, has reasonable storage (my Kirsten's clothes will not fold weel and I doubt Lissie's do either), and it looks historically accurate from the front. However, they did hang clothing on pegs lining the walls.

    For the record I meant historically accurate on the outside. I take it the same way I take Kit's trunk with the flap thing that folds down in the front. Historical on the outside, practical on the inside.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member pajamarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2004
    Posts
    265
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would love to get the clothes press for Felicity's room but my doll house will only be 24 in height for each room. I cannot make it any taller because our ceilings are A-shaped and I need enough space for the roof patio area.


    Lea

    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Ashlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2005
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    that French word: trompe l'oiel which means, "tricks the eye"

    I think it is very historically accurate for the time.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like the way it looks from the front, and I can see that's historically accurate, but the inside bothers me. I guess I was really hoping for either the return of the original clothes press or something different but still practical for storing outfits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •